Here’s a photo my friend Lindsey sent me of what MODEL Katie Halchishick would have to do through plastic surgery to make her already-gorgeous-body look like Barbie’s!!!! EEEEK!!!
Katie is a “Healthy Model” ambassador and spokeswoman for the organization/campaign “Healthy is the New Skin” (a campaign geared towards raising awareness about the fashion industry’s unrealistic pressures they place on women to be skinny. They are hoping to encourage women and girls to be happy and healthy, and embrace a healthy image of what is “beautiful”….LOVE IT).
According to a video on the campaign website, there are some disturbing statistics out there when it comes to girls/women and their bodies. Take a look:
- 80% of women are not happy with how they look.
- The #1 cause of unhappiness among young women, is dissatisfaction with their bodies.
- The #1 desire of young American women is to lose weight.
- Among children in grades 1st-3rd, 48% want to be thinner.
- Among children ages 10 years old, 81% are afraid of becoming fat.